Braces & Aligners
What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is the branch of Dentistry related to correction of :
- Crooked/malpositioned/haphazardly placed teeth
- Improper Bites leads to difficulty in chewing
- Anomalies in jaw growth
- Proclined/ forwardly placed upper teeth
- Inability of lip closure
- Snoring (Sleep Apnoea)
- TM Joint problems (opening and closing of mouth)
Dental braces are device that are used in orthodontic treatment which helps to position the teeth with respect to a person’s bite. They are used to correct open bite, under bite, overly crowded teeth, over bite, cross bite, spacing etc. Along with correcting such cases they also help to widen the palate or jaws. These majorly help in shaping teeth and jaws. The need for dental braces maybe either functional or aesthetic. All this will eventually lead to improved dental health.
Types of Braces
These are traditional and the most common type of braces. The metal braces which are used today are more comfortable as they are flatter and smaller in size. These are made by stainless steel brackets and wires. These wires uses your body heat to move teeth more quickly and less painfully. There is no age limit attached with these as patients of all ages can choose to straighten their using metal braces. Traditional metal braces are made of high quality stainless steel or titanium. They have three main parts such as:
- Brackets— Brackets are small, squared-shaped pieces which are attached to the metal wire using a special glue which helps to hold them in place.
- Archwire— The Archwire is the thin metal wire to which brackets are connected. They keep the teeth into place by putting pressure which eventually results in repositioning and aligning the teeth.
- Ligature Elastic— Also known as rubber bands, ligature elastic helps to attach brackets to archwire. Nowadays these elastics come in variety of colors. These are generally changed by your Orthodontist at every appointment.
Ceramic braces are the clear brackets. They use tooth color and blends more naturally with your teeth. The shape and size is the same as metal braces. These are less visible on the teeth as a result are used by older teenagers and adults who have aesthetic concerns. Sometimes even the wires used are of tooth color which makes them less noticeable. Being less prominent they require more care and protection than metal braces as they are larger and more brittle. Because they require extra protection, they are used more in upper teeth than lower.
Ceramic braces are the same size and shape as metal braces, except that they have tooth-colored or clear brackets that blend in to teeth. Some even use tooth-colored wires to be even less noticeable. They are less noticeable than metal braces & move teeth much faster.
A set of removable plastic trays, each of which needs to be worn throughout the day (except for while eating or brushing) and needs to be changed with the subsequent ones as per the schedule specified. They are customized braces which are movable and are usually replaced after 2 weeks to record the movement of teeth.
The advantages of Aligners are:
- Highly aesthetic
- Minimal appointment scheduling
- Convenient to maintain Oral Hygiene due to being removable in nature
TYPES OF TREATMENT
1) Metal Basic: Metal bracket and metal wire. Since the bracket cannot hold the wire on it’s own, need an external force in the form of colourful elastic or another metal string to tighten the wire into the bracket. Treatment results same as others.
- Since force is externally applied, the pressure felt when the teeth move is more
- Difficult to maintain oral hygiene as food gets lodged into the elastic
2) Metal self ligating: Also metal bracket with metal wire. Has a lock system to hold the wire.
- Hold on the wire is superior
- Easier to maintain oral hygiene, no elastics
- Comfortable, less pain
- Faster treatment
All Metal Braces can cause ulcers and reddishness on the insides of the cheeks.
3) Ceramic Basic: Tooth coloured braces. Non metallic, but nothing to hold the wire in the bracket, so transparent elastics are used. These elastics become yellow due to colour in our food items, difficult to clean.
4) Ceramic Self Ligating: Ceramic brackets with a lock (metallic) to hold the wire.
- Nothing discolours
- Easier to clean
- Hold on the wire is superior
- Faster treatment
5) Damon Clear Braces: Ceramic braces where the lock is also tooth coloured
6) Lingual Braces: Put from the inside of the teeth.
- Highly esthetic
- Mild speech difficulties
NEED FOR ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT
- Crowding/ Haphazardly placed teeth: Difficult to maintain Oral Hygiene leading to Dental Caries (cavities)
- Improper Bites can affect chewing efficiency.
- Future Periodontal problems: Bleeding gums, Halitosis (bad breath), Tooth mobility (Premature loss of teeth)
- Esthetics: Calculus deposits- Yellow teeth
- Forwardly placed/Proclined teeth: Unnatural snout, more convex profile, posteriorly displaced chin
- Inability to close mouth can be corrected
- Spacing in between teeth can lead to speech problems
- Confident smile, enhances confidence in personality
- Interception for spacing/crowding
- Growth anomalies in jaws can be corrected in a non-invasive manner which may later require Surgical correction.
- Treatment of malocclusion before it affects Child’s psychology.
Before & After Picture Gallery
Malocclusion with Crowding
Upper Teeth Jutting Out
Irregular Teeth – Front Teeth
Canine Impaction – Treatment
Please use this schedule for more information about our dental services
or to book an appointment with us.