What are Clear Aligners?
Clear Aligners are transparent trays made of special material which are used to straighten teeth just like braces. They use gentle and constant force to move the teeth in the required position without going through the hassles of metal wires and brackets. They are custom made for each patient through a digital scan.
How do they work?
They are custom made for every person and designed to move teeth in the desired direction very very slowly. This is achieved by digitally capturing impression and processing the information using specialized software, where the future projections for better results and straighter teeth are computed and then the milling machine automatically custom fabricates the set of trays for you. On average, a person needs approximately 25-40 sets for complete alignment.
The aligners come with an advantage i.e. they are very snugly fitting which over a period becomes virtually a part of the body and hence causes no speech problems. There are no restrictions on eating and drinking any foods as you will be removing them before every meal.
Difference between Traditional Braces & Clear Aligners
|Traditional Braces||Clear Aligners|
|Visibility||Highly Noticeable||Invisible – One cannot spot them easily|
|Removability||Non – Removable||Removable – People have freedom to remove aligners while eating, brushing & flossing|
|Oral Hygiene||Difficult to maintain routine healthy Oral Care||Since removable, it is easy to maintain routine healthy Oral Care|
|Comfort||Can cause abrasion in mouth||Fits smoothly on the teeth|
|Duration||Takes longer than aligners(varies from case to case)||Takes relatively less time than traditional braces(varies from case to case)|
Care with Aligners on
Though aligners are the most comfortable option, yet there are certain things that need to be kept in mind while you have it on. Your Orthodontist will give you a set of guidelines which should be followed diligently such as below:
- You should wear the aligners for at least 20 hours a day for the effective results
- Remove your aligners while brushing, flossing & eating. Never have it on especially while consuming anything hot
- Keep your aligners clean. While you brush make sure that you brush your aligners in the same way
- Keep them safe in the box as given by your Orthodontist to prevent it from getting dirty
- Retain your smile with Retainer – Just because you’ve got your teeth straightened does not necessarily mean that it will stay straight throughout. Your Orthodontist might advise retainers which will prevent your teeth to shift back to their previous location
- Take care of your food habits – It may so happen that your teeth are sensitive after the treatment, therefore, it is advised to not consume, too crunchy food for a few days. Let your smile rest before going back to the crunchy munchy snacks
- Do not forget to brush – Keep up your habit of brushing twice a day and flossing in order to keep your teeth clean and healthy. Not taking good care of your oral hygiene will let the treatment go in vain.
- Visit your dentist – Because you are done with your treatment and have got that perfect smile you always desired for does not mean that you need not visit the dentist ever. Always visit a dentist after every 6 months to ensure that this smile remains intact.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1. Are Aligners as good as Braces?
Aligners offer multiple advantages over traditional braces. They are discreet and offer better results in a hassle-free and fast manner. Aligners are also way more comfortable than traditional teeth braces. However, patients still need to be very disciplined about wearing aligners for ensuring treatment success.
Q.2. Can anyone get Aligners?
Clear Aligners are an ideal orthodontic treatment for people of all ages. They are discreet, hassle-free and very effective. However, compliance is more demanding in the case of children. Parents considering aligners for their children must consult an orthodontist at Clove Dental and ensure that the child is a perfect candidate for aligners.
Q.3. How long does it take to recover?
Aligners are hassle-free and promise much faster results than traditional braces. Getting accustomed to aligners is easy and the recovery time is also shorter. But in some cases, it can vary depending on the teeth straightening needs and overall patient compliance. Ideally, recovery time for aligners is between 13-15 months.
Q.4. Are the results permanent?
The results are permanent only if patients practice proper aftercare. There is a natural tendency for teeth to relapse after teeth aligners are removed. Ideally, retainers are used to avoid any chances of relapse. Patients can either opt for either fixed or removable retainers to ensure the results are permanent.
Q.5. Are there any side-effects of the treatment?
No, there are no side effects. Aligners are one of the safest orthodontics treatment. Further, a dentist will suggest aligners only after proper assessment of the current state of your smile. Chances of irritation and discomfort are extremely negligible and most patients get accustomed to aligners within 2-3 weeks.
Q.6. What is the price of treatment?
Aligners are costlier than traditional braces. Further, aligners cost vary depending upon a patient’s smile restoration needs. However, considering its effectiveness in getting a perfect smile, the treatment is worth all its costs.