The practice of looking after your gums and teeth and maintaining oral hygiene to keep them healthy is known as preventive dentistry. The main aim is to avoid cavities, gum infections, enamel wear, tooth loss and more. With the advent of years of refined diet we have become more susceptible to oral diseases and hence maintaining them has become extremely important . With advancements in dentistry prevention of oral diseases has become easier. Maintainance of oral hygiene has to be practised from an early age.
The daily routines of brushing and flossing twice are the simplest form of preventive dentistry.Visiting a dentist with a 6 months follow up is another way of preventing oral diseases. Children benefit mostly from the preventive dentistry protocol which as it allows their newly developed adult teeth to come strong and healthy. Preventive dentistry aims to prevent initiation and progress of dental diseases, limits their complications and also to provide rehabilitation.
Before & After Picture Gallery
Decayed Front Teeth
Decayed Teeth filled by Composites
Dental procedures involved in preventive dentistry:
Prevention of dental decay
- Pit and fissure sealants- Sealants are safe and painless way to prevent tooth decay. Selants are applied in the deep fissures and pits of back teeth (molars and premolars) which have pit and fissures on the chewing surface and are more susceptible to decay.In this a protective barrier is placed on the tooth surface which keeps the tooth safe from decays.
- Fluoride application- Fluoride is a mineral which increases the strength of teeth and also prevents decays and can be recommended in both children and adults. Fluoride gel is applied on trays and then placed on the teeth wherein it forms a strong layer thereby making the teeth resistant to decays.
- Enameloplasty- In this procedure the deep fissures and fossas are broadened which prevents food lodgement and prevents decay. As a result during chewing the food particles are swept away from the surface preventing the possibilities of decays.
Prevention of gum diseases
- Oral prophyllaxis – A simple procedure of professional cleaning of teeth dislodges the plaque deposits on the teeth and hence maintains the health of the gums. This procedure should be done at an interval of 6 months.
Prevention of crowding of teeth
- Serial extraction – Its a planned extraction of certain deciduous teeth and specific permanent teeth to guide the erupting permanent teeth into a favourable position.This prevents the possibility of crowding in future. This is usually done during the age of 8 to 9 years.
- Space maintainers- Space maintainers are custom made appliances which are placed to maintain space for the erupting permanent teeth.
- In cases of early loss of deciduous teeth, either because of caries, trauma or early shedding of milk/ primary teeth the space for the upcoming permanent tooth can be lost, if the posterior teeth move forward.
- In order to save this migration of adjacent teeth into this empty space, space maintainers are given. These are a preventive appliance to ensure no complication irt erupting teeth.
Advantages of preventive dentistry:
- Helps in maintainance of the health of gums and teeth
- Prevents the occurence of cavities
- Prevents gum diseases
- Prevents or reduces the chances of upcoming malalignment of teeth
Please use this schedule for more information about our dental services
or to book an appointment with us.