Discover the intriguing world of forensic odontology in "Dental Clues Unveiled." Explore the science behind solving mysteries through dental evidence.
Jaw Popping and Clicking: Causes and Treatments
A clicking sound in Jaw that leads to sanctions of pain is called Jaw Popping. There are numerous reasons for its occurrences, like opening the mouth too wide or issues in the functionality of temporomandibular joints. This is one of the complex joints in our body that works as a connector between the lower jaw and the temporal bones.
The temporomandibular joint is useful for the need for motion like yawning, speaking, and chewing food.
So, the Jaw Clicking is a condition called temporomandibular disorder (TMD).
What are Jaw Clicking Causes?
There is no concern with the Jaw clicking if you don’t feel any pain in it, but it is important to find its cause for the treatment when it creates a TMJ condition. Below you can check the Jaw Clicking Causes –
Arthritis, like rheumatoid and osteo, can affect or damage the cartilage of the temporomandibular joint.
Osteoarthritis (OA) symptoms are stiffness and joint pain in the various areas of the body. A person with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) may suffer from tiredness, anaemia, and loss of appetite.
Dislocated or Broken Jaw
An injury can be responsible for a broken or dislocated jaw. The jaw joint becomes unbalanced when exposed to an injury.
The common reasons behind a broken jaw are vehicle accidents, injuries in sports, physical assault to the face, slipping, and any industrial accidents.
A dislocated jaw also brings swelling, numbness, brushing, and bleeding that can make serious problems.
Pauses in breathing, shallow breathing, and snoring when you sleep are disorders known as Sleep apnea. Jaw popping occurs due to two different types of sleep apnea i.e. obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
The common symptoms of sleep apnea are – daytime sleepiness, mood disorders, and headaches.
Conditions like high blood pressure, obesity, and heart attack can also be encountered in people who suffer from sleep problems or sleep apnea.
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
It is a chronic pain disorder that causes pain in some muscle’s trigger points. Myofascial pain occurs when a muscle is repetitively contracted over a long time. This pain leads to jaw popping and it mostly affects those people who are active in sports.
The symptoms of myofascial pain syndrome are – pain in muscular, changes in mood, difficulties in sleep, progressive pain, and tender points in the muscles.
Misalignment of the jaw can occur due to `overbite or underbite, malocclusion of the teeth. This is also a big reason behind the Jaw Popping and clicking and need to be treated by consulting a dentist.
Infection in the gland of the mouth can also cause Jaw popping and TMJ issues. Some other symptoms of infection are dry mouth, pus in the mouth, bad test, inflammation, face pain, swelling on the face and neck, and foul taste. It is extremely important to consult with a dentist when facing such problems.
It is also one of the most critical problems of the mouth that can be a reason for jaw popping. The tumours can be developed in any area of the mouth, and it affects the motion of the jaw.
Jaw Popping Treatment
In some cases, the Jaw Popping doesn’t require any medical treatment and can be cured with home remedies, but it becomes necessary to go for a complete treatment in some critical cases.
Below you can check both home and medical Jaw Popping treatment.
Home Remedies for Jaw Clicking
- Drugs like ibuprofen, naproxen, and any type of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can give relief from jaw popping.
- You must avoid crunchy foods and raw vegetables. Go with soft foods like cooked vegetables, beans, yogurts, soups, mashed potatoes, etc. You are also suggested to eat small bites to avoid wide mouth opening.
- It is a good idea to place the ice pack on the jaw area for almost 10 to 15 minutes several times a day. It will help to give you relief from the jaw popping symptoms.
- Keeping a good posture is important to reduce unwanted pain in the jaw. You should change the posture of your body whenever required.
- Medicate to minimize stress as stress can lead to jaw clenching or teeth grinding.
Medical Treatment for Jaw Popping
- Dental work can be performed to reduce the issues like overbites and underbites to stop the jaw from popping.
- Injections are given to patients who suffer from myofascial pain syndrome. It provides instant relief from jaw pain.
To stop the pain in the jaw, heat can be applied to improve the movement of the jaw.
- Radio wave or laser therapy treats the jaw, neck, and mouth. This therapy helps to stimulate movement and reduces the pain.
- To manage the clenching of the teeth, a night guard or splint can be used.
- Pain in Jaw can also be reduced by transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS).
- If all these treatments don’t work to treat the jaw popping, then your dentist can suggest you go for surgery as the last option. Surgeries that can treat your jaw popping are 0 open joint surgery, arthroscopy, and arthrocentesis.
Jaw Popping and clicking is a condition that can be treated if you take the consultation at the right time. If you suffer any symptoms of jaw pain, then you are suggested to consult the doctor. It is essential to find out the causes of jaw popping and the way of its treatment to avoid any kind of complications.