Root Canal Treatment (RCT) is a dental procedure that can save a severely damaged
Restoring Implant Health: Treatment Options for Peri-Implantitis
Peri-implantitis, an infection that affects dental implants, can lead to inflammation, bone loss and implant failure if left untreated. Fortunately, effective treatment options are available to restore implant health. Let’s explore these approaches together:
- Professional Cleaning: Thorough cleaning of the implant surface to remove plaque and calculus.
- Mechanical Debridement: Use of specialized instruments to remove bacteria and biofilm from the implant surface.
- Antiseptic Irrigation: Application of antimicrobial solutions to disinfect the implant area.
- Laser Therapy: Utilizing lasers to remove infected tissue and promote healing.
- Flap Surgery: Raising a flap of gum tissue to access the implant site, remove infected tissue, and clean the implant surface.
- Bone Grafting: If there is significant bone loss, adding bone graft material to regenerate the lost bone.
- Guided Tissue Regeneration: Placement of a barrier membrane to promote the growth of new bone and prevent the growth of undesirable tissue.
- Soft Tissue Grafting: Adding gum tissue to areas with gum recession to enhance the esthetics and improve stability.
- Systemic Antibiotics: Prescribed to control the infection and reduce inflammation. The choice of antibiotics depends on the severity of the infection and patient-specific factors.
- Local Antibiotics: Antibiotics delivered directly to the implant site in the form of gels or chips.
Maintenance and Prevention
- Thorough Oral Hygiene: Regular brushing, flossing, and interdental cleaning to remove plaque and prevent the recurrence of infection.
- Professional Maintenance: Frequent follow-up visits to monitor implant health, perform professional cleanings, and assess the need for additional treatment.
- Smoking Cessation: Encouraging patients to quit smoking, as smoking increases the risk of peri-implantitis.
Crucial Factors for Success: Early Detection and Commitment
Early detection and your commitment to maintenance protocols are key to achieving successful outcomes. If you suspect peri-implantitis, don’t hesitate to reach out to our experienced dental professionals. We’ll evaluate your unique situation and recommend a personalized treatment plan.
With Dental Implantologists support and your dedication, we can restore the health of your dental implants, ensuring a confident smile that lasts a lifetime. Contact us today to take the first step towards healthier, happier implants.