Turmeric for Teeth???
Dr. Nikita Alexander
Auditor- Quality, Clove Dental
Turmeric (Haldi) has been used for thousands of years as a dye, a flavoring, and a medicinal herb. This ancient spice belongs to the ginger family and it contains a component called Curcumin. This component has antimicrobial, antiseptic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which is quite useful in Dentistry also.
Benefits of Turmeric for Dental Health:
- It reduces the swelling / irritation often seen in Gingivitis (inflammation of gums) and Periodontitis (Inflammation of tissues supporting teeth).
- It can be applied locally to treat aching teeth as an alternate to anti-inflammatory drugs.
- It also aids in removal of plaque that is responsible for tooth decay due to its antimicrobial properties.
- As it possesses antioxidant properties, it is efficient in controlling and terminating chemotherapy-resistant cancer cells seen in Oral Cancer.
How to use Turmeric for Dental Problems?
Here are some easy to follow ways to use turmeric for dental health:
- Massaging aching teeth with roasted, ground turmeric can help reduce pain and swelling.
- Prepare turmeric water by boiling 5g of turmeric powder, two cloves and two ground leaves of guava in 200g water. Let it cool. Rinsing the mouth with this water can provide instant relief from dental problems.
- Prepare a paste by mixing 1 tsp of turmeric with ½ tsp of salt and ½ tsp of mustard oil. Rub this paste twice daily on gums and teeth for relief from gingivitis and periodontitis.
Remember that turmeric stains the teeth yellow, so it is advisable to follow this routine with a regular toothpaste.
Turmeric as a spice is very safe to use, however, one must be careful with turmeric supplements as it is a concentrated form of curcumin.
Few of the conditions under which one should avoid turmeric supplements are:
- Pregnancy & Lactation
- Diabetes (if one is consuming blood thinning medications)
- Prior to surgery
- Gall bladder disorders
- Gastrointestinal disorders
The use of plants and herbs for dental care is a very common indigenous system of medicine as the benefits are many. Further research is continuing for the proper use of turmeric in Dentistry.